Wednesday, August 18, 2010

PrAy

Bible time! Read 1 Thessalonians 5:17.
     In John 15:14 Jesus says "..you are my friends." (NLT) Think about your friends for a moment. When was the last time you talked to your bff? Before you opened this right? You texted them, or called them. I cant go a day without talking to my best friends! So why is it than we can go weeks without talking to God?
How can we forget to talk to our friends? That just doesn't happen. Jesus doesn't forget you. I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty but lets face reality, prayer doesn't always come before texting. Proverbs 15:8 says "... He delights in the prayers of the upright." (NLT) Jesus likes to hear from us!
     Prayer is doing business with God. Matthew 6:6 says "...When you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."(NIV)
     Just like you vent to your friends, vent to God. Theres a difference here... Your friends can't always help you with your problems, they can give you advice and be a shoulder to cry on, but Jesus can do so much more. John 14:13-14 says "I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." (NIV) Although it tells us in Matthew 6:8 "your Father knows exactly what you need before you ask him!" (NLT) He still wants to hear it from you! "...ask me..."And doesn't it feel good to get things off your chest?
     It is important to remember that prayer isn't all about "can You?" and "will You?" its also about "thank You!" and "praise You!". 1 Thessalonians 5:18 tells us "Give thanks in all circumstances..." (NIV) Which brings us to our song today.
Supernatural by Flyleaf is a song about praying and waiting patiently for the Lord. Its about talking to Him when things are great and when things are tough. Because you wouldn't only talk to your friends when you have good news,.






     Praying to God is such a beautiful thing. We get to talk to our creator! Some more verses in the Bible that talk about the importance of prayer include: James 5:13 and Proverbs 15:29.
    I'll ask you in every entry to take the verses I mention and mediate on them. Close this devotion with prayer but don't let it be the last time you pray to him until the next time you read an entry. Pray in the morning when you wake up, pray at night before you go to bed, and every time in between. Psalm 55:17 says "Evening and morning, and at noon, I will pray and cry aloud; and He shall hear my voice." (NIV)


Dear Lord, 
Let me not forget the importance of prayer.


Colossians 4:2,
:]

No comments:

Post a Comment