Monday, August 16, 2010

Hakuna Matata

Minimize Facebook and get out your Bibles! Read Matthew 6:25-34
     Future, making money, success, being an adult. When I read these things, I squirm. This partly because all of them involve planning which is something I really can't stand but more so because they worry me. What collage am I going to attend? What will my career be? Will I be able to support a family one day? My mind runs with questions. I get nervous. What if things don't work out the way I've planned? Then I have to stop and think,. My life is in the hands of God, the creator of the universe. In John 14:27 Jesus says "Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God and trust also in me." (NLT) & Psalm 23:4 says this "...I will not be afraid for You are close beside me..." (NLT) So why does tomorrow scare us? Jeremiah 29:11 declares "'For I know the plans I have for you,' says the Lord. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.'" (NLT) God has a plan for my life and yours. It doesn't have to make sense to us upfront but God sees the big picture, so don't worry.1 Peter 5:7 tells us, "Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." (NLT), God's got our back!
     I am going to share a song with you. Your Love Is Strong by Jon Foreman is a song full of facts, God is strong and He loves us! But the part of the song that directly applys to our devo is found before the first chorus. It says "So why do I worry? Why do I freak out? God knows what I need, You know what I need."
As you listen to this song, meditate on the lyrics. Lift it up to God in praise.





     All over the Bible we are told not to worry, some more verses that state this are John 14:1 and Psalm 55:22. I encourage you to look these up on your own. Also, look up the verses I mentioned earlier, go to a quiet place, clear your mind of all distractions and apply these words to your life.
    Close this devotional time with prayer, and when you pray think of the things that worry you daily. Philippians 4:6 tells us "Don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything..." (NLT)


Dear Lord,
Help me remember Your love IS strong. Take the worries of my days away, and replace them with confidence in You.


Proverbs 3:5-6,
:]

2 comments:

  1. hi larissa, my name is melissa. we've gone to camp together before but i dont think we have ever officially met.

    Your blog is really inspiring and i can totally relate to the message, getting ready to go to college in two weeks so there is a lot of worrying going on. Im totally new to blogging too, but this seems really cool. looking forward to your future devos! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larissa <3
    you'll read in my letter I just wrote you two things about this blog. a before and after i guess you could say.
    I just read this blog entry now, on the 24th. you'll be told why when you receive my letter.
    Just wanna say I love this, and it really helps me to send a good prayer up to the Big Man.
    <3

    ReplyDelete