Thursday, August 26, 2010

Have no fear, Jesus is here!


     Before our devo, I would just like to send my deepest apologies for not posting as much as I originally said I would. I have been very busy and these posts take a lot of time and prayer, I'm simply not able to keep up. But I'm making a new promise; once a week. No specific day, just once every week.
     Another thing, I just don't know how popular my blog really is. I know that a few of my readers became my followers and that is so encouraging THANKYOU! If you are a reader who hasn't subscribed, just send me a post on Facebook or Myspace letting me know your thoughts. I would really love suggestions!

MOVING ON! Its time for Jesus! Read Psalm 27.
     Fear doesn't just happen on Halloween or in a scary movie, fear appears in our everyday lives. Sometimes we can be afraid and not even realize it! Fear can take over our actions and keep us away from God. Just the other day I was talking to someone about a struggle I've been facing these past few months. I thought about sharing with them that God helped me through it but I got nervous because I was afraid of what they might say in response. Has this ever happened to you?
     The Bible talks a lot about fear. I think its safe to say that more than half the of the times the Bible uses the word fear it is soon followed by something along the lines of; He is with you.
     Let's test my theory. 1 Chronicles 28:20 says "'Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you...'" (NIV) I should have applied this when I was talking to my friend..
     Maybe your fear is bigger than the one I mentioned. There is no reason to be afraid of what people might say if you think of what people might do when you talk about your faith. In other parts of the world, you may be thrown in jail for speaking to others about Jesus. Every day I thank God that I am not in one of those places. But even when the fears seem too big for you to handle remember nothing is to big for our God. Deuteronomy 31:6 says "...He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." (NKJV) (<--Hakuna Matata?)
     Fear is just in our heads anyway. We sike ourselves out about a situation and we become afraid of the consequences. Its not real like the Bible in front of you or the computer monitor you're staring at. Its imaginary, at least it is to me when I really think about it. Try that, really think about the last time that you have had fear. Now think about these verses, did you really need to be afraid? In the Tenth Avenue North song Strong Enough To Save there is a lyric that says "fear is just a lie". Do you agree? 2 Timothy 1:7 says "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (NLT) God didn't give us fear, that's for sure, so it must be in our heads.
     Our song today is not by Tenth Ave. but by Matt Redman. You all know this one - You Never Let Go. Hebrews 13:5-6 says "...For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' So we may boldly say: 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?'". (NKJV) Our song agrees with that. "...What can man do to me?" & "Whom than shall I fear?". Who is greater than our God? Even though this isn't the first time you've heard this song, instead of singing along meditate on these words.



  
     We should not fear any evil, He is with us. More Bible verses that proclaim that include: Isaiah 41:13 and 1 Peter 3:13-14.
     Its time to think about what it is that you fear. What makes you afraid to share your faith or what scares you in general? Lift these fears to the Lord and ask Him to reveal Himself to you in these situations so that you are not afraid anymore. Exodus 14:13 tells us "...Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today..." (NIV)

Dear Lord,
I know that I have nothing to be afraid of but sometimes, I still get scared. Show me that you are there, help me to know You are near.

1 Corinthians 16:13,
:]

2 comments:

  1. Larissa. God has blessed you. And He continues to bless you. Thank you so much for this blog. It has helped me in so many ways. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. larissa is myyy girlfriend =)

    ReplyDelete